1. Because we desire to exalt the name of Jesus among all people
by sharing the Gospel and exhibiting the love of God in all we
do and say.
2. Because we believe that God has called us to stay at our
present location and to minister to people of every race,
nationality and ethnic background.
3. Because we believe we can build a ministry that will meet the
physical, emotional, educational, and special needs of our inner
city community as well as their spiritual needs.
4. Because the people of the inner city are entitled to the best
sound Biblical worship, teaching and help as the people who live
in the "better" areas of the city.
5. Because we believe that the application of the principles of
God's inerrant Word, the Bible, provides the basic answers to
the needs of all people, and especially those of the inner city.
6. Because we desire to show our community that when people are
one in Christ Jesus, regardless of their race, nationality or
ethnic background, they are able to live, worship, and work
together in peace and harmony.
|7. Because we
have had no indication that God would have us relocate or
dissolve; that is, God continues to bless us at 26th Street and
Lehigh Avenue by:
A. establishing a deep fellowship with-in the
congregation that is "loving" and "intimate;"
B. providing many opportunities for spiritual
C. providing financial needs despite the
pressure of the high cost of living.
D. bringing us members and friends from all
areas of the Delaware Valley.
E. increased membership.
F. sustaining us through difficult times.
G. providing support for our programs from
many who are not a part of the congregation.
H. providing unique opportunities to minister to
the folk who live in the inner city, while other
congregations have fled to the suburbs or have
little interest in the needs of the community.
I. because we have been challenged to
sharpen our skills and grow spiritually while
dealing with special problems
|8. Because we
are located in the midst of a large number of University and
College campuses, Temple University with over 25,000 students is
but ten minutes away by car. Temple University Medical School is
but five minutes by car from our location and Philadelphia
University is ten
minutes by car from our location. These as well as numerous
other nearby major Universities and Seminaries provide a rich
resource for witness and service.
9. Because the neighborhood, while in need of improvement, is
not as unsafe as the media makes it out to be. Also our
neighbors are quite friendly, respectful and supportive.
10. Because we have been at the same location since 1896 and
continue to enjoy a fruitful ministry
11. Because remaining at the same location builds stability in
our ministry and confidence in those to whom we minister.
12. Because we are the geographic center of Philadelphia which
affords us opportunity to reach out into all areas of the city
as well as adjacent communities.
13. Because we are on the corner of a wide, main thoroughfare with
public transportation stopping at the front door.
14. Because it is to be noted that all the major traffic
arteries in the city lead directly to our location or are
immediately adjacent to our location making it convenient for
our people to attend services and activities.
15. Because we have a substantial building that is in good
repair and is quite adequate for our present and immediate
future needs. This means that we do not have to spend large
amounts of money to erect a new building elsewhere, but can
channel available funds into programs of evangelism, education,
fellowship, and the improvement of our facilities.